An introduction to Contact Improvisation

Interesting associations I found from the reading Moving from the Skin (p258) “We can never touch just one thing; we always touch two at the same instant, an object and ourselves” therefore I questioned my clothing, the awareness of how clothing may influence movement as a connection of touch, also the floor and walls how can I inform movement from my surroundings, exploring different textures. How can this create stimulus?

I am aware of expecting the unexpected when exploring the method of contact improvisation however watching Angela Donny and Athos; my eyes were opened to the understandings of risks and the felt connection of partner/contact work. Both dancers are professionals which is shown clearly through the compatibility with one another, however when a surprise appears they didn’t become awkward they followed on and read each other’s body, awaiting for something to give, I learnt from this that even if a movement or reaction does not fit, carry on and explore with it as far as possible and keep the flowed motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0OmQaLaj6c

Throughout our first session we incorporated partner work and focussed our learnings moving with new bodies, I came across new experiences they felt very natural and the task undertaken fulfilled the questions I initially had, when asked to move by ‘Lead and follow’, How will I continue if I forget to initiate movement or touch my partner in a procedure by taking turns? What if I do not connect with my partner? I took these in to consideration with each new task, I felt questioning my choices after I had undertaken the activity was helpful for my learning process.

Important views from my peers during discussion for feedback, “Execution, fluidity and correct points of contact” I explored the same point of contact a few times but experimented in how I touched the point (push/pull/drag/pointing/finger walks). I wanted to find how the difference in touch influences new movement for my partner.

I felt I had to find myself during explorations of contact, continuously making own choices without thinking about how and where to move. “Gel well with Sammy, there is chemistry/connection” I agree with this comment, I feel that our bodies link well together. When observing other partners I realised my own movements are grounded and focussed to the floor.

Each exercise we attempted was formed by trust. Some bodies I gelled with well but others I did no. I enjoyed finding this information from the bodies I didn’t connect well with as I may try to explore this further at another time. I now know my habitual movements as I could feel that I was trying to think when working with bodies I could not gel with. Although the bodies I connect well with allowed instincts to respond and move naturally to flow, feeling the connection.

Weight bearing exercises were challenging, I found some bodies had different risk levels this was a good experience, and I found out that my body allowed more risk than other bodies did. I found that in the reading leading& Following by Hassmann, J (p44) speaks about the stretch “I can explore the maximum stretch before the point of contact starts sliding, and I can play with a sense of swimming in and under my skin when frequently changing directions” I understand this as exploring how far the contact can be challenged within touch and direction, Hassmann speaks of his own experiences and how he explored the stretch of limits and boundaries with one partner.

Concluding my first session of contact improvisation; it has been a learning curve, that of many questions I have enjoyed the experience and look forward to learning many more skills. The readings have become clearer after class, it therefore helps my understandings.

Hassmann, J. (2017) Leading & following: focusing on the communication in and under the skin. Contact Quarterly, Vol 42: 1, pp. 44

Heitkamp, D. (2003). Moving from the Skin: An Exploratorium. Contact Quarterly/ Contact Improvisation Sourcebook II, Vol. 28:2. Pp.  256- 264